Why Empowered Style is Key to Professional Success
Entrepreneurs will agree that creating a brand that resonates with the clients you’re marketing to is almost an automatic professional response. We strive hard to make the perfect logo, choose the right colors, find the most appropriate graphics and the collect the dreamiest, most Pinterest-worthy imagery. But so many times we forget a piece to the branding puzzle: our style!
Our personal style is not only just how we express ourselves, it’s also our visual business card. It’s how we carry yourself, and our brand, out into the world. Whether networking with colleagues, taking meetings, or even running errands, style is the first thing people see about you. Have you ever taken a hard look at your overall style and asked yourself, “What does my style say about me?”
This isn’t about whether you are wearing brand new Louboutin heels, a Hermes handbag or the latest trendy dress you picked up at Nordstrom. It’s about your own personal self-expression as the representation of who you are and how your honor your business. Style is the unsung hero for a strong, empowered entrepreneur. It’s the perfect tool to lift you up on a tough day, empower you as you walk into a meeting, or even to create the law of attraction around you.
So what does it take to create your own empowered style? As a personal stylist for professional women, I believe personal style comes from five key points.
- Fit / proportion – The fit of your clothes is of utmost importance. When your clothes are fitted and tailored to flatter your figure, a few magical benefits happen. You appear longer and leaner, you appear more expensive, and you turn heads in a sea of ill-fitting suits.
- Attention to detail – Whether it’s making sure that a scuffed shoe gets buffed out, a torn leather purse strap is fixed, or a pilling sweater gets thrown out or donated, it’s important to pay attention to the details of your wardrobe. These are all subtle things that can devalue your look. So be on the lookout and make sure each and every small detail is meticulously styled, as this also reflects on how meticulous you are in your business.
- Consistency – Staying consistent with your style is hard. You have to actively choose style every morning as you dress for work. But what’s amazing is that consistency has major subliminal benefits. When you are consistent and uphold a high level of your personal style, you can be perceived as strong, sophisticated, masterful and consistent in your work, too. Owning it and embodying it is key.
- Making a statement – Every outfit you put together should have an outstanding statement piece. It could be a printed full skirt, a sparkling statement necklace or a pair of eye-catching shoes. When working with clients, I always challenge them to do something unexpected. So what can you do? How about switching out your black shoes for red? Or wearing that dressy blazer with your jeans? Using your wardrobe to empower your look, make a statement and turn heads can only lead to conversation, compliments, personal pride, and—well, imagine the possibilities!
- Confidence – This is the secret sauce to style—feeling confident in who you are and in the wardrobe you wear. Your style can’t shine without you feeling confident. It’s the most vital part to your look, and it comes from within. When you truly embody yourself and your style, confidence comes pouring out. Yves Saint Laurent famously said, “Over the years I have learned what is important in a dress is the woman wearing it. “
So will tomorrow be your most empowered day? Start with this style dare: wear the most empowering outfit you own all day. Even if you have no meetings, are working from home or just have to hit up Target for a cat food run…do it and see how you feel!